Saturday, April 18, 2009

Adventures in teaching

So, I made the official announcement to my kiddos this past week. Many of them said they already knew or just thought I had a pillow under my shirt (b/c that's normal!)They were all so excited, jumping up hugging each other, me, giving each other high fives! They immediately wanted to know the baby's name, when she would be born, and when they could see her! These are a few of my favorite conversations with my kids this week.

"How old is the baby in your tummy right now," asked one little boy. She is almost 5 months old. "Well you know she will come out in nine months." To which another little boy pointed "down there" and said, "she is going to come out here and it is gonna HURT!!" "No, no," said another little girl, "first you have to be 10 cm dilated!" Yes, this is the conversation going on in my class with first graders!!!

My kindergartners were the best to tell. Of course they were so excited and wanted to know when they could see the baby. I explained that when the baby is born they will be in first grade! That was a shocking revelation for my kiddos. One little boy, raised his hand and said, "can I see the baby?" Sure, I'll bring her in when she's born. "No, I mean can I come see the baby being born I've never seen that." No, only doctors nurses are allowed to be there when the baby is born. "Oh, man I really wanted to see it!"

The best for last... One of my sweet little girls raised her hand and said, "does your boyfriend know you are having a baby?" Yes honey my husband knows. Remember I'm married, I had a wedding, I changed my name. Someone else raises their hand, "is your boyfriend excited." Guys, my husband not boyfriend, yes he is excited! "What's your boyfriend’s name again?" And the boyfriend vs. husband conversation used up most of our class time. All I could picture was that my sweet little Christian school kids would go home and say to their parents my teacher and her boyfriend are having a baby!

No comments: